Amex offers 2 weeks of low-cost luxury awards
For the last two weeks of October 2005 the American Express loyalty reward programme, Membership Rewards, is to provide a promotional programme of unusually low-cost travel adventures and luxury redemption options for its members.
The Membership Rewards Exclusives Event is to run from 17th to 30th October 2005, and will offer a limited number of travel and merchandise rewards redeemable for as little as 1,000 Membership Rewards points.
The promotion marks the launch of Membership Rewards Exclusives, a programme offering a selection of travel, entertainment and merchandise reward opportunities, with new offers being added to the web site every few weeks. Redemptions must be made through the new Membership Rewards Exclusives web site.
Competing for luxury During the promotional period, American Express will offer limited quantities of luxury items for 1,000, 2,500 and 5,000 Membership Rewards points. For example, a Mercedes-Benz Roadster (US$52,000 list price) or a Virgin Atlantic Airways African safari package for two (US$29,000) will be attainable for only 5,000 points. A member with 2,500 points can redeem them for a Samsung 63-inch plasma television and a member with 1,000 points can redeem them for a Nikon 5.1 megapixel digital camera.
Items will be offered at each redemption level on the web site each day, and will be available at 2:00pm and 7:00pm (EST). To claim them, cardmembers log on to the web site, and when the rewards become accessible they click a "Redeem Now" button to compete for any of the limited rewards. Any taxes applicable to the rewards will be reimbursed by American Express.
Options offered Other deals for electronics, jewellery, watches, sporting goods and home appliances include:
- For 5,000 points:
- 6 x Sony home theatre systems (inc. 32" LCD TV and DVD recorder);
- 3 x Hawaiian Airlines Dream Vacations for two;
- 2 x Trek Travel Tour de France cycling experience packages;
- 4 x 2006 Polaris Snowmobiles.
- For 2,500 points:
- 3 x Baume & Mercier gents' Hamilton Spirit watches;
- 6 x Complete Weber stainless steel grill packages;
- 10 x Panasonic 44" LCD HDTVs;
- 6 x Trek Fuel EX-8 full suspension bikes.
- For 1,000 points:
- 10 x Pentax Optio S5z 5.0 megapixel cameras;
- 10 x The North Face outdoor equipment packages;
- 10 x Cuisinart kitchen packages;
- 6 x TaylorMade R7 Quad HT titanium drivers.
Ralph Andretta, general manager for Membership Rewards at American Express, commented: "This event is a chance for cardmembers to reward themselves with luxury items for extremely low point levels and see what other great redemption offers are available through the Exclusives programme."