Citi ups loyalty stakes with new card benefits
In the US, Citi Cards protection benefits for card members has been improved and revamped, with benefits ranging from car rental insurance for any car in any country to even greater coverage and fewer restrictions.
According to Paula Kelley, managing director of customer solutions for Citi Cards, the company has re-focused its loyalty efforts on doing away with industry standard exclusions to make using travel benefits easier for card members.
Examples of the revised programme benefits include Lost Baggage Protection that covers items including cameras, jewellery, skis and golf clubs, as well as better coverage on those benefits that card members said they value the most like extended protection against the damage or theft of purchased items.
When any Citi card member shops, they can now:
- Sit back and let Citi Price Rewind search for an even lower price. Citi will search for a lower price after card members buy and register an eligible item with an eligible Citi credit card. If the same item is found at retailers' sites within 60 days, Citi card members can be refunded the price difference (up to US$300 per item, and up to US$1,200 per year). In 2013, Citi card members saw an average refund of US$85.
- Know they are covered with 120 days of Damage and Theft Protection. If card members buy a covered item with their Citi card and it is damaged or stolen within 120 days of purchase (or 90 days for New York residents), card members are covered up to US$1,000 per item, and Citi Prestige and Citi/AAdvantage Executive card members have coverage up to US$10,000 per item.
- Benefit from up to an extra year of warranty coverage on any warranty of five years or less (or double their warranty if it's less than a year) when they make purchases with their Citi card up to US$10,000 per year. Citi Prestige and Citi/AAdvantage Executive card members have coverage up to US$50,000 per year.
Citi also now provides more travel benefits for card members using any of the company's travel credit cards, including Citi/AAdvantage Platinum Select, Expedia+ Voyager Card from Citi, ThankYou Premier, Citi Prestige and Citi/AAdvantage Executive. For example, members can:
- Get covered against theft or damage on any rental car, in any country. No matter what car they rent, anywhere in the world, Citi card members are now covered against theft or damage up to US$50,000 when they pay with an eligible Citi card and decline the rental company's collision loss and damage insurance. Citi card members with travel rewards cards that come with an annual fee like ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige enjoy coverage up to US$100,000.
- Benefit from Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection. If certain unforeseen events get in the way of their trip - like severe weather or illness - they may be reimbursed for non-refundable trip expenses, like airfare, hotels, cruises, and more, up to US$1,500 per year. Some card members will enjoy Trip Cancellation & Interruption Protection up to US$5,000 per year or US$5,000 per person, per trip.
- Get a refund for many unplanned expenses when they're delayed for 12 hours or more, up to US$500 per trip. Citi Prestige and Citi/AAdvantage Executive card members can enjoy a refund for delays of 3 hours or more, up to US$500 per trip.
- Worry less about lost or damaged baggage. Card members are covered up to US$3,000 per person, per trip ($US2,000 per person, per bag, per trip for New York residents) if their baggage including personal items like cameras, jewellery and sporting equipment are lost, stolen or damaged by the common carrier on a trip paid for with their Citi card.
- Pick up some essentials if their baggage is delayed. If card members' bags are delayed for 6 hours or more, they can be reimbursed for items they may need until their bag arrives like clothes, shoes and toiletries, up to US$100 per trip. Citi Prestige and Citi/AAdvantage Executive card members enjoy baggage delay protection for delays of 3 hours or more, up to US$500 per trip.
- Get medical help if they are injured or ill. If card members have a serious medical emergency, medical evacuation protection can cover the costs of getting them home or to the right medical facility, up to US$100,000 with their Citi Prestige or Citi/AAdvantage Executive card.
- Book tickets with peace of mind. If Citi card members have to miss a show, game or event due to bad weather, venue cancellation, accident delays or even lost tickets, they may be refunded the cost of the tickets, up to US$500 per ticket and up to US$5,000 per year if purchased with their Citi Prestige or Citi/AAdvantage Executive card.