Discover updates loyalty & affinity card offerings
There have been several new developments at Discover this month, encompassing a range of new and expanded co-branded, affinity and loyalty offerings.
First, Discover launched a new WNBA Team Affinity Card. WNBA fans who apply for the team-affiliated card, as well as existing Discover cardmembers, will have access to the unique Discover Card Fan Lounge at selected WNBA arenas. Fans simply show their Discover Card to gain access to the lounge, which also gives them the chance to meet WNBA players while enjoying a VIP experience.
The new affinity credit cards featuring the 13 WNBA teams are the result of a multi-year agreement signed last year between Discover Card and the WNBA, in which Discover Card became the official credit card of the WNBA. Discover Card will make a US$20 donation to WNBA Cares charitable partners to be identified at the launch of the season for each new account, upon the first card purchase.
According to Dana Traci, vice president of retail partner marketing at Discover, the WNBA Team Affinity Card also shares the benefits and features of regular Discover Cards, including 5% - 20% cashback bonus rewards, extended customer service, and fraud protection.
Miles of loyalty opportunities Discover has also introduced a newly enhanced Miles by Discover Card, which gives active cardmembers the ability to travel with no restrictions, earn unlimited loyalty miles that never expire, and redeem them faster with more options than before.
According to Margo Georgiadis, chief marketing officer for Discover Financial Services, "Consumers are looking for miles programmes that allow them to fly faster without restrictions and we've done just that with our new Miles Card. It eliminates the need for any worries about travel restrictions or black out dates. The new Miles Card puts consumers in control of redeeming their miles, lets them redeem for more travel options, and offers travel credits starting at only 5,000 miles."
Unlike many other mileage-based loyalty programmes, the new Miles Card allows cardmembers to book their own travel, through any travel source, at any time. As Georgiadis says, "Any airline, cruise, hotel, vacation package or car rental".
New enhancements to the travel rewards programme offered through the Miles by Discover Card include:
- Travel with no restrictions: Cardmembers can choose how they want to book their travel whether it's through an airline or travel agent, or even online travel sites. Cardmembers pay with their Miles Card and redeem their available Miles for account credits for their travel purchases.
- Earn miles quickly: Cardmembers can earn double miles on travel and restaurant purchases up to US$3,000 per year, in addition to earning 1 Mile for every US$1 they spend on all other business and personal purchases.
- Unlimited miles that don't expire: There is no limit to the number of Miles cardmembers can earn. And, for active cardmembers, Miles do not expire.
- Redeem faster with more options: Cardmembers can redeem Miles for travel credits to their account or cash starting at 5,000 Miles, or for gift cards from over 50 brand-name partners starting at 1,000 Miles.
- Travel benefits: Cardmembers have access to a Global Traveler's Hotline that provides travel assistance from a single phone call. Scheduled Air Travel Accident Insurance and Car Rental Insurance also are included.
Discover More reintroduced At the same time, Discover has reintroduced its original Discover More Card and the Discover Open Road Card, which provide opportunities for cardmembers to accelerate their cash rewards earnings based on how they decide to use their available credit.
Georgiadis added: "In addition to these benefits, the Discover More Card and Discover Open Road Card have distinct cash rewards accelerators that enable consumers to get more money back in the categories where they use credit."
- Discover More Card The Discover More Card, previously known as the Discover Platinum Card, provides cash rewards earnings. The Discover More Card includes the 5% Cashback Bonus Get More Program, which allows cardmembers to earn more rewards in popular categories that change four times a year (e.g. fuel retailers, travel, home, apparel, restaurants, movies, and so on). The card is designed for consumers who use credit in many different categories and provides them with more ways to earn more cash on their purchases.
- Discover Open Road Card The recently redesigned Discover Open Road Card, previously known as the Discover Gas Card, provides cardmembers with the same core benefits. But cardmembers receive a 5% Cashback Bonus on their first US$1,200 in annual auto maintenance and fuel purchases, plus up to 1% unlimited Cashback Bonus on all other purchases. Fuel purchases can be made at any gas station, and auto maintenance purchases include oil changes, tire stores, paint shops, auto dealers, batteries, service/repair shops, part/supplies stores, towing services, and even car washes.