ExactTarget suggests e-mail marketing guidelines
ExactTarget has announced a 'Field Guide to E-mail Marketing' to help marketers improve their email marketing results by adopting a subscriber-centric marketing communication programme in which they respect their customers' preferences.
The guide joins the company's earlier 'Field Guide to SMS and Triggered E-mail' as an educational manual, and discusses the death of "batch and blast" e-mail, and offers best practices for three popular types of e-mail communication: educational, marketing, and nurturing messages.
The guide highlights 15 unique business scenarios ranging from corporate communications and e-newsletters to product alerts and releases. It provides marketers with several ideas for using e-mail marketing to drive results for their organisation, including:
- Countdown emails to excite and remind subscribers of an upcoming event.
- Deals and discount emails to make subscribers feel important and increase repeat business.
- Education and training emails to engage subscribers on a more meaningful level.
- Feedback emails to give subscribers the opportunity to shape the future of products and services they know and love.
- Lead nurturing and drip campaign emails to streamline and standardise the sales cycle.
- Up-sell and cross-sell emails to leverage the existing subscriber base and increase incremental revenue.
According to Scott Roth, director of product marketing for ExactTarget, "We encourage every single marketer to adopt the 'Subscribers Rule' philosophy. E-mail marketing has to be all about them: what they want, when they want it and how they want to receive it. By letting the subscribers rule, they'll become better marketers."
The complete guide can be downloaded directly from ExactTarget's web site.