In this week's Newswire you can enjoy a curated list of the latest customer loyalty, technology, payments, and other relevant marketing news. We include a spectrum of topics, all with the intention of keeping you informed and enabling you to star in your next big meeting.
The Loyalty Newswire makes it simple for busy professionals (e.g. YOU) to quickly digest important industry news and trending topics. Keep reading!
If you haven't taken advantage of a free subscription to our weekly Newsletter each Thursday, please do it today! You'll unlock access to exclusive content, events, promotions, and more.
Stay. Loyal. Always.
- Barnes & Noble launches tiered rewards program with both free and fee options
- BurgerFi executive highlights the impact of NFT’s on Customer Loyalty
- Killer Burger launches new loyalty program, Killer Rewards
- Urban Outfitters launches subscription loyalty program
- Global Hotel Alliance Launches Green Collection
- 2022 Convenience Store Sales rebounded to pre-pandemic levels
- Postcard Mania results show that the future of Direct Mail is bright
- Quick Perspective: In 2023 Brands Should Value the Simple Proposition: “How Can We Help?”
- Join Points4Purpose in New York City on June 1 to celebrate its US Launch
- Hot Takes in Loyalty
- Gain CLMP™ certification during May and June 2023 with The Loyalty Academy™ in Melbourne, Singapore, or Casablanca
- Quote of the week
Barnes & Noble launches tiered rewards program with both free and fee options
Barnes & Noble was one of the first retailers to launch a paid loyalty program when it launched Barnes & Noble Membership in 2001. For a $25 annual fee, members were provided discounts on purchases, free shipping on eligible items and other offers. Now, eighteen years later, the book retailer is massively updating its loyalty program by introducing a new tiered program that includes a free and paid level. Premium Membership is an improvement to the existing paid program, with multiple ways to earn, all bundled for a $39.99 annual fee. Barnes & Noble is also launching a free B&N Rewards program. Read the full press release here.
BurgerFi executive highlights the impact of NFT’s on Customer Loyalty
At the recently completed Restaurant Franchising and Innovation Summit in Miami, industry thought leaders shared strategies for success and growth in changing times for the restaurant business. One highlight was a talk by Steve Lieber, VP - franchise business development at BurgerFi – on how NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens) are transforming the industry. “Customer loyalty programs, such as loyalty clubs, are huge beneficiaries of NFT technology, Lieber said, mentioning that he has about 350,000 loyalty members (with 90,000 being active).”
Killer Burger launches new loyalty program, Killer Rewards
Killer Burger was founded in Portland in September 2010 and has made its mark with its meticulously crafted and award-winning burgers that have been voted Best Burger in its market for the past four years. Supporting its growth across the Pacific Northwest is the launch of Killer Rewards, a new loyalty program centered on a mobile app. The program was launched in April 2023 and features free food upon enrollment, points for purchases and special member only rewards periodically. FAQs are here.
Urban Outfitters launches subscription loyalty program
Urban Outfitters has launched UO UP, a membership program that lets shoppers take an extra 15% off their total full-price purchase at Urban Outfitters, Anthropologie and Free People. The paid loyalty program carries an annual fee of $98 and includes free shipping on every order and free returns. A $40 gift card able to be used at any of Urban Outfitters' brands is a sweet enrollment benefit.
Global Hotel Alliance Launches Green Collection
UAE-based Global Hotel Alliance (GHA), the world’s largest alliance of independent hotel brands, has launched its Green Collection, bringing under one umbrella nearly 200 hotels, resorts and palaces operated by GHA hotel brands that are demonstrating their commitment to protecting people and the planet. Among the many infrastructure, support, and marketing services offered to its alliance members, GHA operates GHA Discovery, a loyalty program representing over 24 million customers across 800 plus hotels.
2022 Convenience Store Sales rebounded to pre-pandemic levels
The 2023 NACS State of the Industry Summit was held last week and the industry organization reported that growth in every category of inside sales and fuel sales brought overall activity levels back to pre-pandemic levels. Fuel sales increased by 41.2 percent, while In-store sales increased 9 percent in 2022. The average purchase amount for all customers increased 4.9 percent to $7.52. Several key areas of cost increased as well, keeping operators highly focused on profitability.
Postcard Mania results show that the future of Direct Mail is bright
In its Q1 2023 earnings release, Postcard Mania reported that direct mail has hit new levels consistently post-pandemic, with revenue growth averaging 20 percent the last 3 years. First quarter 2023 growth was up 7.82 percent over Q1 2022, and the quarter ended with March setting a new highest-ever monthly revenue record. You can read the entire press release here.
IBM published a 2022 consumer study indicating purpose-driven consumers – those opting for brands with values aligning to theirs – may become “valuable long-term customers and brand ambassadors” and then showcases how they better value-driven consumers – those primarily price-first oriented – across 7 purchasing power metrics. Big Blue, rightly, guides brands on the path to gaining trust being clearly paved from understanding what purpose-driven consumers care about and value … then taking action to align business practices to best-serve.
Adopting a mindset that purpose led purchasing is real, to some degree more than others, across most customer archetypes. Check. Seeking understanding from your customers on what matters to them. Check. Aligning your busine … wait, what if what matters isn’t the same for all of my customers?
Answer: Allow them to choose how you support their impact. Change that matters to them.
Join Points4Purpose in New York City on June 1 to celebrate its US Launch.
Points4Purpose is hosting a reception to celebrate its US Launch on June 1 at 6:30pm (doors open at 6:00pm). The reception is hosted by the Wise Marketer Group, the Australian Trade Commission and Investment NSW in Manhattan, New York. A panel will discuss how you can join the growing movement from Purpose to Profit and, in so doing, grow customer lifetime value. If you’re unable to attend then you may also view the discussion by webinar. Register here.
Hot Takes in Loyalty
- Maverik, has agreed to acquire Kum & Go, a family-owned convenience store chain with over 400 locations across 13 states. Maverik, known as Adventure’s First Stop, operates nearly 400 locations across 12 western states, making it the largest independent fuel marketer in the Intermountain West.
- Mobivity enhances connected rewards solution with Zero-Cost Media offering for restaurant brands
- Bilt Rewards members can now earn up to 8x points (effectively up to 13.2% back) at restaurants with the new Bilt Dining program
- “Not just BurgerFi” - Papa Johns ventures into the Metaverse with its first collection of NFT’s
- Antavo – 8 Metrics You Can’t Do Customer Loyalty Analytics Without
- 4/20 is past but here is your tip to Big Indian Smoke Shop’s basic but effective gas rewards program
- The CRMC will be held in Chicago June 7-9, 2023. Brands announced include Adidas, Build-a-Bear Workshop, Chico’s, GNC, Lifetime, London Drugs, Majid Al Futtam, Nascar, NBA, Pep Boys and Sonesta. More announcements will be coming soon. More information and registration info can be found here.
Gain CLMP™ certification during May and June 2023 with The Loyalty Academy™ in Melbourne, Singapore, or Casablanca
There is only one professional certification for Loyalty Marketers in the world and that is the Certified Loyalty Marketing Professional™ offered by The Loyalty Academy™.
You may see training sessions or “masterclasses” offered by loyalty providers or commercial associations, but this is the first and only professional education program created by loyalty practitioners and delivered with an entirely independent and unbiased approach to the business.
The Loyalty Academy brings it unique program guided by independent governance and oversight to three locations during May and June 2023:
- Melbourne, Australia - 16-18 May. Mike Capizzi will be leading the workshop with input from sponsors Epsilon, Gratifii, Incentive Solutions, and Points4Purpose. Register here.
- Singapore - 23-25 May. Mike Capizzi continues his globe-trotting at the York Hotel in Singapore with support from Platinum sponsor Epsilon. Check out the agenda and register here.
- Casablanca, Morocco – 20 – 23, June. Working with Platinum sponsor 2WLS, Aaron Dauphinee will lead this event. All information including registration can be found here.
Quote of the Week
“Indifference is worse than hate or love. The indifferent consumer is the most elusive for any brand to engage and possibly the most dangerous opponent for a brand seeking to create customer loyalty.”
Heard at the Epsilon Loyalty Lab, Austin Texas, April 18, 2023