MasterCard woos women who hold household debit cards

WM Circle Logo

By: Wise Marketer Staff |

Posted on March 28, 2006

Aimed at American women, MasterCard has announced a debit card promotion called 'MasterCard Monthly Bonus Sweepstakes', offering a chance to win a US$1,000 monthly bonus over 10 years.

Until the last day of May 2006, each signature Debit MasterCard purchase earns the user a new entry into the promotional sweepstake, and Tap N Go purchases using Debit MasterCard PayPass receive double entries. However, PIN-based and international transactions do not qualify.

Using the prize
Three winners are to be chosen at random in July 2006, and the cash prize will be deposited directly into each winner's cheque account each month.

A MasterCard survey conducted by Guideline Research also found that 43% of consumers would use a US$1,000 monthly bonus to reward themselves or their family, either in the form of family holidays, nights out, shopping, or trips to a spa. The remaining survey respondents (57%) said they would rather use the money to pay bills.

Women in charge
According to a MasterCard survey conducted by Millward Brown, 61% of the heaviest debit card users in the USA are women. Approximately 75% of women are mainly responsible for managing their household's finances, including reviewing and paying bills.

The promotion is being supported by radio and print versions of MasterCard's 'Priceless' advertising campaign. MasterCard is also providing marketing support for financial institutions, including statement inserts and in-branch communications. Online content, promotional information, and educational debit background are being made available online at

More Info: