New chip-based credit card rewards programme from ANZ
An integrated, chip-based, credit card rewards programme, Sphere, is to be launched in Australia by ANZ, nine months after the introduction of its chip-based credit card to Australia in November 2001.
The programme offers ANZ First Visa cardholders a points-based rewards programme with instant rewards at chip-enabled retailers. ANZ managing director for credit cards, Mr Kamran Siddiqi, explained, "The chip technology allows ANZ to offer customers more immediate and attainable rewards."
Programme features According to Siddiqi, many customers believe that earning rewards through existing programmes is too slow, and that the choice of rewards is mainly focused on frequent flyer benefits. Features of the Sphere reward programme include:
- The programme offers instant rewards including in-store discounts, gift vouchers and other exclusive offers
- Members have a choice of rewards including products and vouchers from major retailers, supermarkets and petrol stations.
- The programme is optional for ANZ First customers (the rewards membership fee is Aus$33 annually).
- The programme provides customers with a guarantee to be able to return products if they are not happy with them.
- Sphere is not linked to any airline frequent flyer programme. But Harvey World Travel vouchers allow members to choose flights with any airline, to hire cars, and to book accommodation.
- Points are earned for every dollar spent in Australia and overseas, and members can reach their reward goals more quickly by shopping at Sphere Bonus Partner stores.
- Sphere points never expire.
- Customers receive a rewards summary with their monthly credit card statement.
Since their introduction into Australia, over 350,000 of the firm's credit cards with chip technology have been issued, and nearly 30,000 retailer card terminals have been replaced with chip-enabled MultiPOS terminals, providing a sound infrastructure for chip technology nationwide.