Shell USA's fuel-stretching credit card programme
In the USA, Shell is encouraging motorists to be more fuel efficient, providing not only a set of advice on how to save fuel but also by launching a fuel rebate-driven credit card.
Drivers seeking to get the most out of their fuel can take the helpful hints offered by Shell's new FuelStretch programme, which is available through all Shell stations nationwide. The programme provides fuel-saving driving tips and a credit card that helps drivers earn fuel rebates as they fill their tank.
Users of the Shell Platinum MasterCard credit card (issued by Citi Cards) are eligible for a 5% rebate on every Shell fuel purchase made with the card.
Publicity drive To publicise the launch of the programme, Shell has put a married couple on the road with the task of following all the advice given by the programme while trying to set the Guinness World Record for Fuel Efficiency. The duo have already travelled fourteen European countries, five Asian countries, and Australia, logging some 12,300 miles on only fifteen tanks of fuel - at an average of 56 miles per gallon so far.
Briefly, some of the key driving tips offered by the programme are:
- Drive smoothly, avoiding heavy acceleration or braking.
- Replace dirty or clogged air filters.
- Keep the engine well tuned and repair any problems immediately.
- Make sure the tyres are at the correct pressure.
- Minimise vehicle drag - get rid of excess weight in the car.
- Always use the recommended grade of oil for the engine.
- Use cruise control on major roads and in free-flowing traffic.
- Maintain a constant speed wherever possible (where it's safe).
- Avoid idling, and avoid high speeds (over 60mph) if possible.
- Plan ahead to avoid separate trips if they can be combined.