Shopkick doubles to 15m members in 1 year

WM Circle Logo

By: Wise Marketer Staff |

Posted on September 9, 2015

Through a process of reinventing and reinvigorating the American retail shopper's experience, the Shopkick programme reports that it is on track to drive some US$800 million - US$1 billion in sales for its retail and brand partners in 2015, up from US$1 billion in the previous four years combined.

Shopkick offers consumers a shopping companion app that makes in-store shopping rewarding, personal and enjoyable, and has announced that it has now signed up more than 15 million users worldwide, doubling its user base in one year.

Shopkick's users also spent almost two hours per month using the Shopkick app during July 2015, according to data from Nielsen's Electronic Mobile Measurement Panel. This made Shopkick the top app in the Commerce & Shopping category in terms of time spent per person, far exceeding time spent on other similar apps which together averaged 36 minutes of engagement per user during the same month.

"If you stacked all of the gift cards that users have received from Shopkick, the pile would be 18 Empire State Buildings, or over four miles, high. That's 15 billion Kicks, or $60 million, that we've rewarded to Shopkick users just for shopping how they want to shop," said Cyriac Roeding, co-founder and CEO of Shopkick.

Along with consumer satisfaction and retention, Shopkick now has more than 300 large brand partners including Procter & Gamble, Unilever, Kraft and Pepsi, as well as 25 retail partners, including Macy's, Best Buy, American Eagle, Sports Authority and JCPenney.

By helping to improve the overall shopping experience for consumers, Shopkick's retail and brand partners have reported measurable increases in both customer engagement and sales. Independent third party studies found that 52% of all sales driven by Shopkick have been purely incremental (i.e. they would not have occurred without Shopkick). Put another way, Shopkick effectively doubled the sales from its user groups for its participating retailers and, of that incremental spend, 74% came from either new or reactivated customers (i.e. customers who had not made purchases with a brand for at least one year). The remaining 26% come from increased loyalty of stores' existing customers, who spent 26% more per person and more often at Shopkick partner stores, compared to exactly matched customer control groups that did not use Shopkick.

As one of the pioneers of retail 'beacon' technology, Shopkick has more than 20,000 shopBeacons installed at more than 14,000 large stores throughout the US, allowing users to be rewarded for the simple act of visiting a store. These Apple iBeacon-compatible devices emit an encrypted signal using a combination of Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and ultrasound, which Shopkick users and retailers' own mobile apps can pick up. Shopkick is available for free on the iPhone from the App Store and for Android from Google Play. Shopkick reports that this technology has already driven over 90 million store visits and 140 million direct product engagements from users scanning products among the aisles in stores.

More Info: