Toys'R'Us swaps to points-based loyalty scheme
In the US, Toys'R'Us has launched the next generation of its free customer loyalty programme, Rewards'R'Us, with the launch of an integrated, point-based system that offers various benefits for members as well as 'R'Us credit card holders.
This latest round of programme enhancements reflect feedback from the company's most loyal customers, who can now enjoy unlimited access to new loyalty benefits when shopping at Toys'R'Us and Babies'R'Us stores nationwide, and online at ToysRUs.com and BabiesRUs.com.
Toys'R'Us also launched a new credit card programme, including an 'R'Us-branded credit card and a MasterCard co-branded card, issued by GE Capital Retail Bank, connecting cardholders with all the perks of Rewards'R'Us and more.
With immediate effect, Rewards'R'Us members can take advantage of the following enhanced benefits:
- No earning exclusions or blackout periods, allowing for year-round rewards on all purchases, including those in January (which were previously excluded).
- 2 points for every US$1 spent on most Toys'R'Us and Babies'R'Us purchases in-store or online, and 1 point for every US$1 spent on all gift cards, electronics and entertainment products, diapers, wipes, formula and baby food purchases.
- Members earn US$5 worth of 'R'Us Reward Dollars for every 500 points accrued (they previously earned 'R'Us Reward Dollars only after spending a specified amount over a three-month period).
- Points never expire, so members can accumulate them over time, making it easier than ever before to earn 'R'Us Reward Dollars. Formerly, rewards could only be earned during specified promotional periods and could not be carried over.
- Members now have the potential to earn US$20 worth of 'R'Us Reward Dollars monthly, which can be used for Toys'R'Us and Babies'R'Us purchases in-store or online. Any points earned beyond the US$20 threshold will carry over to the next month.
At the same time, new and existing 'R'Us credit card holders are now automatically enrolled in Rewards'R'Us and can earn points faster with the following benefits:
- Cardholders earn double points (4 points for every US$1 spent) on all Toys'R'Us and Babies'R'Us in-store and online purchases using the card. 'R'Us MasterCard holders also earn 1 point per US$1 spent everywhere else MasterCard is accepted.
- Cardholders now earn rewards faster, as 'R'Us Reward Dollars are earned after accumulating 500 points (compared to 1,000 points previously).
- Cardholders have the potential to earn US$150 worth of 'R'Us Reward Dollars per month, and any points beyond the US$150 threshold carry over to the next month, since the points never expire.
- Cardholders can also take advantage of new programme offers, such as 10% off an in-store purchase or a 6-month special financing offer with a purchase of US$299 or more.
Rewards'R'Us members planning for a new arrival through their Babies'R'Us Registry are also eligible to receive Registry Rewards every time family and friends make a purchase from their Registry. Members will earn two points for every dollar spent on Registry purchases, and gift givers who are Rewards'R'Us members also earn points as they would with any purchase as a loyalty member or credit cardholder.
Additional ongoing perks for Rewards'R'Us members and 'R'Us credit card holders include:
- Very Important Baby (V.I.B.) programme. Members of Rewards'R'Us can take advantage of the V.I.B. programme, providing parents an opportunity to earn a 10% bonus savings on baby essentials. The complimentary V.I.B. card is much like a debit card and can be used toward purchases of any brand of diapers, wipes, formula and baby food at 'R'Us stores nationwide. To help parents stretch their dollars, every time money is loaded onto the card, Babies'R'Us will add 10% - up to US$200 - annually.
- Rewards'R'Us members earn 1 point for every US$1 loaded onto the V.I.B. card.
- 'R'Us credit card holders earn 4 points for every US$1 loaded onto the V.I.B. card.
- Safety notifications: Members with an active e-mail address on file will automatically receive notices if a product they purchased with their membership at an 'R'Us store or online has been recalled.
- Member Shopping Events: Members will receive advance notice of exclusive in-store sales and events.
- Members-Only Discounts: Members will receive discounts and special offers via periodic mailings and e-mails.
- Returns Made Easy: Members do not have to worry about keeping receipts for their purchases in the event they wish to make a return or exchange in-store. To make returns even easier, the company implemented a system whereby store employees can look up any member's transaction simply by rescanning the shopper's card, as long as the member's card was scanned during the original purchase. All members have to do is remember to scan their card each and every time they shop with 'R'Us (the company's normal returns policy applies).
At the same time, Toys'R'Us launched a dedicated rewards web site where customers can sign up for the programme, and members can login to manage their accounts, view and print 'R'Us Reward Dollars, and track their purchases and progress on special promotions.
There are of course a few restrictions involved in the programme: Rewards'R'Us members do not earn reward points on Buyer Protection Plan, assembly fee, Breastpump Rental fee, delivery fee, Layaway fees and shipping & handling. Loyalty programme members' 'R'Us Reward Dollars cannot be used toward the purchases of gift cards, diapers, formula, Kiddie Kandids, Motherhood Maternity, Buyer Protection Plan, Assembly Fee, Breastpump Rental, Delivery Fee and Shipping and Handling. 'R'Us credit cardholders' 'R'Us Reward Dollars cannot be used toward the purchases of gift cards, Kiddie Kandids, Motherhood Maternity, Buyer Protection Plan, Assembly Fee, Breastpump Rental, Delivery Fee and Shipping and Handling. Points cannot be earned on in-store and online purchases during the 6-month promotional finance period. Points associated with V.I.B. card loads for registrants are only applied to gift givers' Rewards accounts.